Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Garland to D-Backs

Jon Garland signed a 1 year deal for over 6 mil to pitch for Arizona. First things first. I don't like Jon Garland. Its nothing personal I'm sure he's a nice guy. Its the kind of pitcher Garland is that I don't like. That is the soft tossing hurler who doesn't strike out many hitters. The margin for error for guys like Garland is much smaller than guys who strikeout alot of hitters. Garland can be a poster child for why as a fan you can't trust win-loss record as a way be evaluate pitchers. Since 2002 Garland has a record of 96-74. Pretty good huh? Now lets look a little deeper. In the past three years he is only 56/98 in quality starts for a very average 57%. In 7 out of the past 8 years his ERA was over 4.22. For his career he only had 1 season when his WHIP was under 1.3. Statistical studies have consistently showed if you don't average 5 Ks per 9 innings its very tough to win on a consistent basis. In my humble opinion he has let a charmed life who may not be able to continue his winning ways. For the D-Backs to invest 6 million dollars they must have really wanted him. My knowledge of Arizona is probably better than it should be. I admit I stayed up way past my bed time watching them so I can hear Mark Grace announce games. As of today Arizona is as good as any one in the worst division in baseball. Webb and Haren are fantastic. Doug Davis is solid when cancer free. The back of the rotation with Max Scherzer and Yusmeiro Petit are talented but questionable. So I can see why Josh Byrnes wanted to get Garland. I don't think its a great move but its understandable. The key to Arizona season will be how their young hitters mature. If the combination of Justin Upton, Stephen Drew, Connor Jackson and Mark Reynolds hit like they are capable they should contend Jon Garland or not.

No comments: