Thursday, January 15, 2009

MLB mock Draft-By Mike

The powers that be at MLB.com and elsewhere have posted the first two rounds of a mock draft, so I thought I would offer a few comments and see what others might think. The draft results were as follows:

Pick
1.Hanley Ramirez
2.Jose Reyes
3.Alex Rodriguez
4.Albert Pujols
5.David Wright
6.Grady Sizemore
7.Ryan Howard
8.BJ Upton
9.Ryan Braun
10.Chase Utley
11.Jimmy Rollins
12.Miguel Cabrera

13.Josh Hamilton
14.Mark Teixeira
15.Justin Mourneau
16.Ian Kinsler
17.Johan Santana
18.Cole Hamels
19.Evan Longoria
20.Tim Lincecum
21.Carlos Beltran
22.Matt Holliday
23.Alfonso Soriano
24.Carlos Lee

I agree with the overall #1 pick. I was a little hesitant on HanRam a year ago but I'm a full believer now and this guy will hit in any ballpark in any condition (usually empty for him). I believe you can justify selecting ARod, Pujols, or Wright with the 2, 3 and 4 picks but there is no way Jose Reyes is a top 5 pick. Heck, I'm not even sure he is a top 10 pick.

As for the rest of the top 12, I'm down on Upton, Utley, Rollins and Cabrera this year. Is BJ Upton the guy who was mediocre for three-fourths of the season or is he the post season power hitter with a .500 batting average that everyone saw on television? The answer is neither. BJ Upton is a guy who I project to hit .280 with 15HRs, 90 runs scored and 45 stolen bases with RBIs being virtually nonexistent. With that said Upton at #8 is a reach. This draft was taken with the announcement of the Utley injury and if he's back in May then he is a top 10 pick but if threes any hiccups in his recovery process and he doesn't come back until June or the All Star break, you've wasted a top 10 pick. Rollins and Cabrera are due for a bounce back year years but there are guys in the second round that I prefer to have over them

Josh Hamilton and Mark Teixeira are two guys I would rather have than Rollins or Cabrera. Kinsler and Longoria are the real thing bit I don;t know if I take them that early. Matt Holliday was a top 10 pick over the last few seasons and the move from Coors Field may have an impact as will all the foul ball territory at McAfee Coliseum but don't sleep yet on Oakland's offensive prowess. If Daric Barton finds himself and Eric Chavez relives past glory days thanks to the arrival of Giambi, Oakland could be ok and Holliday would hit third in a lineup that features Holliday, Giambi and Cust. I guess I'm trying to say he was a steal @#22. We've already had the Lee, Soriano and Beltran discussion earlier in the blog so I guess that's it for now.

1 comment:

Mitch Hirsch said...

I agree with just about everything you wrote. Another factor that makes Upton a stretch at#8 is he is recovering from shoulder surgury and has not picked up a bat yet. I also think Cole Hamels @#18 is too high. Pitching in Citizens Bank will drive up his ERA. While the Phils are better than the Giants I'd certainly take Lincecum before Hamels. I also agree Kinsler is a bit of a reach at #16. As for Longo he will go high in our draft. One member of our league really likes him. Hint his name begins with D. The place we disagree is about Reyes. Is he a #2 pick? No. But I'd certainly consider taking him after HanRam, ARod, Pujols and Wright. Reyes is entering the prime of his career. His SBs were down a bit last year because of a hammy. He should go 15/70/300/110/60. If not him @#5 I think I'd look at either Sizemore or Braun.