Friday, January 23, 2009

So Long Jeff

With a total lack of interesting things going on on the Hot Stove I figured I spend some time reviewing the career of recently retired 2nd baseman Jeff Kent. Like I said in the past when I grow up I'd love to be a baseball historian. I'm sure every era in baseball history had players like Kent that will be appreciated more throught the prism of history than when they played. Kent was never a favorite with the press because he never said very much. Also playing on the west coast for most of his career probably hurt his national exposure. To me the most striking stat of his was Kent hit 351HRs in his career. Thats a full 74 more than the second place player at his position, Ryne Sandberg. I don't have stats in front of me but I don't know if any other player has hit 20% more dingers than anyone else at his position. Kent drove in over 1500 runs averaging over 100 RBIs over 162 games. He made the All Star team 5 times and captured the 2000 MVP. In addition something to think about is Kent played almost his entire career in very difficult hitting parks, AT&T, Shea and Dodger Stadiums. Baseball Reference lists a players top comp and oddly enough between age 30-33 Kent's top comp every year was Joe Gordan the recently voted in HOF. His detractors will point to his below average defense at 2nd. Thats fair. And all his big years were a direct product of hitting after Barry Bonds. The bottom line is even if he saw alot of pitches to hit he had to hit them. I could honestly say watching him all those years I never thought he was HOF material. But the body of work may say otherwise. Definitely not a first ballot but maybe down the road. So where does he rank with the all time second baseman here is my list of the top 10 second baseman ever

1.Rogers Hornsby-The guy averaged over 400 over 5 years.

2.Joe Morgan-Best 2nd baseman I ever saw. Did it all. Pompous announcer

3.Eddie Collins-Cornerstone of $100,000 infield of A's dynasty of 1911-14 And NOT one of the dirty Black Sox

4.Nap Lajoie-338 career average. At the turn of the century the Indians were called the Naps after him.

5.Jackie Robinson-His career numbers would have been even better if he was given the chance earlier.

6.Rod Carew-A 328 career hitter with 7 career batting titles. Not a great fielder but he sure could hit.

7.Ryne Sandberg-Known for his bat but earned 9 Gold Gloves. He even stole over 50 bases one year

8.Charlie Gehringer-Part of the G-Men with the Tigers in the 30s with Hank Greenberg and Goose Goslin. Think Killer B's with Gehringer being much better than Biggio.

9.Fankie Frisch-Player/Manager of the Gas House Gang Cards of 1934. Played on 8 Pennant Winners

10.Roberto Alomar/Joe Gordan/Bobby Doerr/Jeff Kent-I know its cheating. Take your pick.

I believe Chase Utley has a very good shot at this list if he stays healthy.

As always your thoughts and comments are not only welcomed they are STRONGLY encouraged.

No comments: