Saturday, January 10, 2009

HOF Ballot

First of all I hoped you guys enjoyed my Hall of Fame Series. Thinking about those players brought back alot of memories for me. Also it was interesting to see if my memories of how good players were matched the numbers. So after thinking long and hard if I was to have a vote the following players would get my vote

1.Ricky Henderson

2.Mark McGwire

3.Jim Rice

If Mark Grace had a shot I'd vote for him just to her his induction speech.

Now its YOUR turn. PLEASE leave a comment to this post with who would get your vote. Since Mike and Howie are 40+ and saw these guys play I'm especially interested in your opinion.

2 comments:

Mangowrangler said...

If I were a HOF voter the following would get voted in:
Rickey Henderson and his good friend Ricky Henderson make it easily. Bert Blylevin also makes it in as does Andre Dawson. Jim Rice is the close but no cigar candidate (Again)

As a former player, Mark McGwire does not get my vote. While I read your argument with great interest in that if he's not in than nobody in the steroids era is eligible and actually, I'm okay with that.

To me, one of the things that makes baseball so great is its ability to bridge time. We look at the guys in the HOF and compare their numbers against their predecessors and with the numbers so skewed during the steroids era, if nobody from that era makes it in then fine by me.

Aside from the steroids argument, however, McGwire wasn't that great a player. Take for example our current 5X5 fantasy format. Aside from a 5 year span 1995-2000 he was Adam Dunn, a one category player who would kill you in avg. He hardly ever scored runs, never stole a base and hardly ever drove in a run without hitting a homerun and his career numbers bear this out as he had 200 more HRs than Jim Rice with 40 fewer RBIs.

Mitch Hirsch said...

Excellent argument Mike.