Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year To Me

For me the biggest event associated with 2008 turning into 2009 was the LONG awaited debut of the MLB Network. Since everyone is throwing in their two cents about the debut here's mine. Firstly the Hot Stove Show was very well done. The three main analysts Harold Reynolds, Barry Larkin and Al Leiter were all opinioned without being cliquish. Reynolds seems like he is playing the role of the broadcasting veteran was typical Reynolds. Which for me is solid but not the best. Larkin was the rookie of the group. He seemed a bit nervous but definitely held his own in the three way conversations. For my money Al Leiter was the most entertaining of the group. It was apparent even while he was a player that Leiter would be a natural broadcaster. I also like that he gives the pitchers point of view while Reynolds and Larkin give the hitters point of view. I also know a few other analysts have been signed including Joe Magrane who did a very good job with the Rays the last few years. The sets looked good. I thought the interview with Jimmy Rollins was both entertaining and informative. The piece remembering the untimely death of Roberto Clemente was also very well done. My favorite part of the show was the segment when they took Jackie Robinson's famous steal of home in the 55 Series and broke the play down and analyzed it from all angles. I never saw that done. I must have seen the play a thousand times but until Al Leiter pointed out Whitey Ford threw from the wind up I never noticed it. The whole segment was terrific. Overall the show was a very strong start and I can't wait to see more.

As for the Don Larson perfect game I was looking forward to it. I must have seen Yogi jumping into Larson's arms after striking out Dale Mitchell a hundred times. But watching the actual broadcast blew in away. Famous players like Mickey Mantle and Jackie Robinson who were legends I've just seen in high lites or read about in many books. Names like Carl Furillo and Joe Collins were pretty much just names on Strat-o-Matic cards. But you talk about history coming to life. I got to see 6 Hall-of -Famers play a whole game. Firstly let me say the first thing that struck me was just how similar the game of baseball from 1956 is to baseball today. Its not hard to imagine those teams playing the same game against teams and players of today. Seeing Mantle hit a Home Run in the middle of a game and not just in a high lite reel was incredible. From the announcing booth I got to hear Vin Scully as a young broadcaster. 52 years later I'll hear him this year. And his style is very similar!!! I loved seeing the original commercials. I know I' would have payed the 1 dollar to get the Gillette razor with the free baseball encylodia A few things that struck me about the broadcast was there was no graphics on the screen during the game. It was just the game. Also things we take for granted like instant replay was not missed at all. And one of my favorite things was how not everything was sponsored. You guys know what I'm talking about. Like this pitching change is brought to you by...... The 6th inning home run contest is brought to you by....... I could talk about this all night long. To say the experience was magical for me would not even begin to cover it. I was like going back in a time machine which is something I've often thought of. Finally having Bob Costas inteviewing Lasean and Yogi while watching the game asked him what they were thinking was fantastic. Costas did his usual brillant job when he does things like this. I pray they do more things just like that.

Since today was Jenny's B-Day I did not watch anything this afternoon but already have 5 hours of programming on the DVR. I'll probably wake up hours before I have to go to work to watch some tomorrow morning. I can't wait.

So if you guys watched anything please comment on this and write your own comments. I love reading them

No comments: