Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hall Of Fame Part 1

To say today was a slow news day in baseball would be a huge understatement. I really don't think anyone wants to read about Cesar Izturis signing with Baltimore. Even if the Os signed Cal Ripken in his prime they still are a last place In addition the off the field problems of Joba Chamberlain(DUI Trial) and Brian Giles(ex-Girl Friend Suing) does not interest me. One thing I do know if there is fantasy baseball in heaven Chamberlain and Giles just shot up Richards draft list. So I decided to look at this years Hall of Fame ballot and talk about each candidate. Being as old as I am I have vivid memories of just about all these guys. I'll break the list into 3 and when I get a day when nothing happens I'll talk about the candidates.

Before I get into this I have a confession. Remember when you were a kid and grown ups would ask you what do you want to be when you grow up? Well as a 44 year old, when I grow up I want to be a Baseball Historian. That probably shocks no one. Thinking about how players from different era compare is one of my all time favorite past times. If Bill James got a dollar for everytime I cracked open the Historical Abstract I'd be in need of a government bailout. Well anyway here goes. By the way I'll discuss the players in alphabetical order.

Harold Baines-Baines was one of the best pure hitters of the 80s. Over 2800 hits, a little less than 500 doubles and a BA of .289 makes him worth talking about. The downside is he was a DH. Which brings up a great baseball debate. If the Gods of the AL deem the DH as a legimate part of the game should guys like Baines be penalized? My take on Baines is simple the first DH to have a solid case is Edgar Martinez. IF Martinez is voted in then possibly we can talk about Baines.

Jay Bell-I'm shocked he is on the list. No shot.

Bert Blyleven-Byleven is probably the most debated player when it comes to the Hall. His accomplishments are amazing. 287 wins, 3701 Ks, which is 5th all time. He has more wins and strikeouts than anyone in baseball history not in Cooperstown. He was known for a tremendous curveball. Also he had the rep as a big game pitcher. His detractors point to the fact that he only made 2 All Star teams. So the argument comes down to this does a body of over average work for 22 seasons with outstanding career numbers make you Hall worthy even though you were never among the leagues elite at any time. Very close but no cigar.

David Cone-One of my favorite players on the ballot. Cone was terrific for the Mets after we stole him from the Royals. Any Met fan will remember that Loredo breaking ball. A likeabe guy who was one of the few Mets of that era who actually gave good answers to questions. Like Doc went to the darkside(the Yankees) and threw his no hitter in the Bronx. He belongs in the Hall of the very good. He just was not great for that long. Sorry.

Andre Dawson-The Hawk could do it all. Unfortunately it did it for most of his career in Montreal where no noticed. His numbers speak for themself 438 HRs 1591 RBIs 314 SBs and 8 Gold Gloves. I'll always remember Dawson getting beaned by Eric Show. Dawson was a tough player who I would have loved to have on my team. At this point I don't know if he gets my vote. Its very close. I'll let you know in Jan.

Ron Gant-Gant was an all around good player for a few season here and there. If he stayed healthy for his whole career he'd be Andre Dawson lite without the cannon arm. No way.

Mark Grace-Okay I'm partial. Gracie had a sweet swing and was a very good defensive first basemen. He has gone from a above average player to the most entertaining color man in baseball. Grace and Darren Sutton make watching D-Back broadcasts the most fun in baseball. So Grace does not get my vote now but maybe in 20 years of so he can get in the broadcasters wing.

Rickey Henderson-The best lead off hitter in baseball history. An absolute no brainer.

On a slow day I'll do part 2 next week.

No comments: