Thursday, December 25, 2008

Tears on My Keyboard

Anyone who knows me knows exactly what I think of Mark Teixeira. Simply put he is one of my favorite players. I made sure I had him last year for my team. The news the he signed with the Yankees is disappointing to say the least. But by the same time understandable. Tex is a east coast guy who wanted to play close to where he grew up in Maryland. So I applaud him for staying with his wish. Unlike CC who sold out for the most money, west coast be damned. Since I started doing this when someone signed I try to hit three things 1.a little about the player 2. a little about the contract 3.how it affects the team. I'm going to hit some high lites because my next long comparsion piece will be about Tex so I don't want to be redundant.

Firstly Tex is a standout player. There is nothing on a baseball field he does not do very well. While he is not Jose Reyes on the base paths he is a smart base runner with average speed for a first baseman. Defensively he is a gold glover. I'm sure Yankee fans will compare him to Don Mattingly and Tex is every bit as good. With the bat he is a switch hitter with terrific power numbers who does not strikeout nearly as much as most power hitters. Also he is very consistent. And finally unlike AJ Burnett he is very durable. He should play at least 150 games.

180 mil for 8 years makes him the 2nd highest paid player in the game. Since 80 mil came off the books for the Yanks they were able to afford all 3 big signings. What his deal proves to me is that the truly elite players will always get paid regardless of the economic situation. While the Pat Burrell's, Adam Dunn's, and Bobby Abreau's of the world will have to take less money the best of the best will never have a problem. Also signing with the Yankees comes with it inherent pressure but he does not have to be THE guy. The press will always go to A-Rod and Jeter first. And I believe Sabathia will have more media scrutiny than Tex. He is a quiet guy who will go out everyday play hard and put up solid numbers.

So I guess the AL East is over before the season starts right? Not so fast. Even with the big 3 free agents and the trade for Nick Swisher the Yanks still have some holes. The outfield is far from being set. The bullpen before Mariano is not that great. And the bench does not impress me a great deal. Also lets not forget the Red Sox who should have everyone back( I think Veritek will resign) and that little team here in Florida that won the AL last year. If the Rays can survive a brutal early schedule they also will be very tough. I think you can make an argument for all 3 of those teams being the favorite. That race should be alot of fun.

1 comment:

Arthur said...

I only have one thing to say about the up coming baseball season. I really hope that all the spending the Yankees have done and may still do will be for nothing. If I remember correctly CC pitched an awful lot of innings last season and he arm might not be ready to handle the pressure of New York. AJ was in the final year of a contract. Just like a few other pitches New York signed in the past (Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, Randy Johnson, Etc..) The only good signing in my eyes was that 1st basemen. I hope they spent all this money and still finish third if not last.